I’ve been researching Lavender use during the Victorian Era and this has turned into a fascinating project. Queen Victoria was passionate about lavender and insisted on having it used throughout the castle. She believed lavender meant cleanliness and that it purified the body and spirit – we now know she was right on – lavender does indeed have antiseptic, antibacterial and restorative properties.
Of course this meant that lavender was used in lots of different ways – for cleaning, grooming, fragrance, cooking, medicinal, and lavender sachets. With all these items using lavender to choose from, I decided that My Etsy Shop would only feature items based on Victorian products, starting with lavender sachets.
Lavender Sachets – Victorian Style:
Lavender Sachets were an effective way to keep homes free from bugs and smelling nice. A gentle squeeze of the sachets was enough to release the fresh, clean lavender fragrance.
- Decorative ones were hung from the arms of chairs for the same reason;
- Small sachets were slipped between the sheets in linen presses for the clean fragrance and to deter insects;
- They were a required item for the bedroom:
- Several were tucked in with the bedding to deter bed-bugs;
- One or more were hung from bedposts to clean the air;
- Small sleep pillows were placed on or under pillows to ensure restful sleep;
- Sachets were placed in wardrobes and drawers to keep insects out;
- Quite often a small sachet could be found in a woman’s reticule;
- Daring young women would tuck little lavender sachets in their cleavage;
- Small sachets were often tucked in with a lady’s stationery.
Lavender lost a lot of its appeal during the mid to latter part of the 20th century when cosmetic companies developed their chemical products and clever marketing encouraged the consumer to buy. Fortunately we are becoming aware that chemical is not the way to go and many of us have returned to natural, homemade products.
I’m enjoying the research into Victorian times and find it interesting to design products for today based on items from the past. Another item is already on the drawing board which I’ll share with you next month. For now it’s lavender sachets because they are as useful today as they were in Victorian times.
Talk to you again next week,
If you enjoyed this post, others will too. Please share.