Ever since my post about Avon Bubble Bath I’ve had readers asking me to do a similar one about Avon Skin So Soft. Since these are such fun articles to write I am more than happy to oblige, so here we go…..Avon Skin So Soft, the sequel.
Avon Skin So Soft first appeared on the market in 1961 as a bath oil and as such it was a huge success. Skin So Soft has a wonderful fragrance and really does what it claims – leaves your skin feeling soft and silky smooth. But as its users soon discovered, it does so much more.
I remember the buzz when it was first discovered that Skin So Soft kept mosquitoes away – imagine, an insect repellent that actually smelled nice and wasn’t harmful. That was the beginning of its many non-traditional uses of which I’ve listed 40 of the best.
NOTE: With Avon Skin So Soft a little goes a long way. Often all you need is a smidgeon, about the size of a dime, for it to do the job. Start with this small amount – you can always add another drop if needed.
Avon Skin So Soft for Personal Care:
- After shower moisturizer – just put a drop on your hands and wipe all over, especially trouble spots like elbows and heels;
- Makeup remover – a drop on a cotton wipe will gently remove makeup and moisturize your skin at the same time;
- Hair conditioner – after shampooing apply a smidgeon to your fingertips and work it thoroughly into your hair until it is completely absorbed, leaving hair smooth and shiny (not greasy);
- Massage Avon Skin So Soft into your feet or add a drop to your foot-bath to really pamper them;
- Hand Cream – a small drop applied to hands will soften and hydrate them;
- Cuticle softener – warm a little Avon Skin So Soft and use as a hot oil treatment for cuticles;
- Soothes dry skin – apply a dab to dry skin for relief from itching;
- Hand cleaner – apply some to hands before tackling dirty jobs and again when finished, before washing hands. This will make it easier to get hands totally clean;
- Remove chewing gum – apply a smidgeon of Avon Skin So Soft to the chewing gum and rub to remove the gum from hair or skin;
- Remove a child’s bandage – take away the ouch factor by gently removing the bandage with the help of a little Skin So Soft.
- Wood furniture conditioner – apply a small dab to a soft cloth and use to wipe wood furniture. Polish with a second clean soft cloth.
- Removes soap scum from shower doors and curtains – spray on (can be diluted 1 Skin So Soft, 4 parts water) then wipe off with a clean damp cloth;
- Cleans bathtub surround – spray (dilute as above) to remove hard water deposits and water spots from the surround, wipe with a clean damp cloth;
- Cleans taps and other chrome fixtures – apply a drop or two of Avon Skin So Soft to a damp cloth, rub to remove lime and hard water deposits from fixtures, finish by wiping with a clean soft cloth;
- Dissolves grease – spray on greasy surfaces, like range hoods, and wipe down with a soft damp cloth. Finish with a dry cloth, spray very lightly, do not wipe off to make future clean-ups easier;
- Ink stain remover – Spray Avon Skin So Soft on the stained surface and wipe with a damp cloth to remove ink stains from vinyl and painted surfaces;
- Removes crayon from appliances – as for ink stains, spray on the appliance and wipe with a damp cloth to remove the crayon;
- Brass Items – spray on brass items and wipe with a soft cloth. This will keep them from turning dark;
- Sliding glass doors and windows – Spray on the running rails to keep doors and windows sliding smoothly.
- Removes gum from carpet – apply a small dab of Skin So Soft to the spot and rub to remove the gum. (Test first).
Avon Skin So Soft as Bug Repellent:
- Spray lightly on and around the exterior doors, windows and screens to repel insects;
- Add a cap to a pailful of water when mopping to keep ants and other crawling bugs away – do not add more than a cap or you could be slipping and sliding all over the place;
- Patio candles – melt some candles, add some Skin So Soft to the melted wax, reshape and re-harden the candles and place on the patio to repel mosquitoes and other insects;
- Laundry – when washing clothes you wear outside in the summertime, add a cap to the final rinse water to help keep bugs away;
- Though not a bug, deer can certainly be classified as a pest. Keep them away by spraying Avon Skin So Soft on shrubbery and other plants they love to eat.
Avon Skin So Soft for Pets:
- Before grooming any of your pets, first rub some Avon Skin So Soft on your hands. This keeps you from smelling like them and at the same time moisturizes your pet’s skin;
- Make a spray by mixing 1 part Avon Skin So Soft with 5 parts water. Lightly spray on your pet and then brush in to work the mixture into your pet’s fur. This repels fleas and leaves their coats shining. Avon Skin So Soft won’t hurt your pets if they do happen to lick their fur;
- Add a capful to your pet’s bath water to remove fleas;
- If your pet shows signs of itching, apply a dab to your hands and work it in well right down to their dry skin.
- Asphalt/Tar Remover: During the summer your pet can easily pick up asphalt or tar on their paws. Help them remove this by gently wiping their feet with Skin So Soft – rub on, then gently wipe off.
Avon Skin So Soft – Ten more uses:
- Head lice – saturate head, leave it for 15 minutes, then rinse thoroughly until all signs of the lice are gone. Shampoo the hair several times and rinse really well after each shampoo. After the final shampoo massage a very small amount of Skin So Soft into the hair;
- Skin So Soft can soothe a light sunburn – gently pat onto the sunburned parts;
- It is a great massage oil for tired muscles – just put a dab on your hands and massage those muscles;
- It removes tar spots from a car without damaging the paint – spray the spot, then wipe clean with a damp cloth.;
- Put a drop of Skin So Soft on a damp cloth to clean the car’s vinyl dashboard, seats and vinyl top – helps keep them soft which prevents cracking;
- After washing your car, spray on your tires (1 part Skin So Soft – 3 parts water);
- After cleaning your headlights and grill, spray lightly with straight Skin So Soft. This will make it much easier to remove those bugs the next time around;
- After painting, clean your paint brushes with Skin So Soft to keep them soft as new;
- If you have dishes or glassware stuck together, just let a little Skin So Soft run down the sides and they’ll separate with no problem;
- Removes tree sap – ever had that sticky stuff on you? It’s easy enough to remove with Avon Skin So Soft.
It was the Avon Skin So Soft users who discovered the different ways to use the product. If you have used it in a non-traditional way, I would love to hear from you.
Sharing is caring – please leave a comment and/or share with your social media friends.
Talk to you again next week,
Disclaimer: I have listed 40 uses here, and while I’ve tried a number of them, I can’t guarantee the effectiveness of all. If not sure, test the product on a small inconspicuous spot.